Erectile Dysfunction Doctor in Charleston, SC
At Lowcountry Urology Clinics of Charleston SC our highly trained board-certified urologist in Charleston have years of experience in diagnosing the cause, examining the symptoms, and providing treatment for erectile dysfunction, or ED. Here are answers to a few commonly asked questions about erectile dysfunction.
Erectile dysfunction is the inability to develop or maintain an erection of the penis during sexual performance. Sexual arousal involves a hydraulic process, where your body pumps blood into special sponge-like receivers in your penis, causing it to harden. Arousal often comes from stimulation to your brain, which engages the nerves, which causes the blood to flow. In short, there are many moving parts and several potential causes of ED.
Healthy erectile function can be an important part of your emotional well-being. Don’t ignore it, and don’t be embarrassed. There are many treatment options, and we urge you to explore them with your Urologist. To learn more about ED, please contact Lowcountry Urology Clinics of Charleston SC.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction: It’s common, and it’s treatable.
If you are dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED), you are not alone: nearly one in every four men over sixty-five will experience some degree of erectile dysfunction.1 Younger men often struggle with ED as well. By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction is the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection.
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection.
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex.
What Causes ED?
As a result of recent medical research, it is now known that more than 80% of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder.
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, proper treatment can be recommended that may help you return them to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by physical disorders such as:
- An injury (i.e. brain or spinal cord)
- A disease (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol)
- Various studies have estimated that between 20% – 71% of individuals with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction.2
- An operation (i.e. prostate gland removal)
- Substance use (i.e. tobacco, drugs, alcohol or medications)
Other facts about Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence):
- Approximately 30 million American men suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Most men with erectile dysfunction still have the ability to have an orgasm and father a child, but often have difficulty doing these things because they can’t get or sustain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction is not normal and is by no means an inevitable consequence of aging.
- Most men at one time or another during their sexual lives are unable to get or keep an erection. This is normal and does not indicate a problem. However, millions of men of all ages experience this inability as a continuing problem.
- In most cases, erectile dysfunction can be overcome.
- Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
- Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.
Schedule an ED Consultation
Our urologists in Charleston know how frustrating and sensitive erectile and sexual problems can be for our patients. Our urology clinic in Charleston are dedicated to working with you to find the best solution. We can help you fully assess your ED and offer realistic and successful solutions to restore your erection and sexual health.