Urodynamic Testing at Lowcountry Urology Clinics
The physicians of Lowcountry Urology Clinics of Charleston SC are skilled in the practice of urodynamic testing of the urinary bladder and urethra. We invite referring physicians to consider us for their patients who require this procedure.
As a service to our referring physicians, Lowcountry Urology Clinics would like to present some basic information on urodynamic testing that you may wish to share with your patients.
Definition of Urodynamic Testing
Urodynamics is the study of the bladder and urethra, as they perform their jobs of storing and releasing urine. Urodynamic tests help your Urologist determine how well your bladder and sphincter muscles are working. They can also help explain various symptoms of the urinary system.
Conditions Assessed with Urodynamic Testing
Your Urologist may utilize urodynamic testing to assess symptoms of incontinence, frequent urination, sudden or strong urges to urinate, problems initiating a urine stream, painful urination, difficulty emptying the bladder completely or frequent urinary tract infections.
Details of Urodynamic Testing
Urodynamic tests take about 30 minutes to perform. Typically, a small catheter is used to fill your bladder and record measurements. Some common tests include:
- Measuring the urine left in your bladder after you finish urinating
- Microscopy and culture of your urine to check for infection
- Uroflowmetry to measure the speed of urine flow, and also assess bladder and rectal pressures
- Multichannel cystometry to measure the pressure in the rectum and in the bladder
- Urethral pressure profilometry to measure strength of sphincter contraction
- Measuring the electrical activity in the bladder neck
- Assessing the "tightness" along the length of the urethra
- Imaging the bladder and bladder neck during voiding
Choose Lowcountry Urology Clinics for Your Patients
For your patients who require urodynamic testing, Lowcountry Urology Clinics of Charleston SC is a referral you can make with confidence. Contact us today!